1980 - Totally Wired

?? January: Single - Fiery Jack
05 May: Live album - Totale's Turns (It's Now or Never)
11 July: Single - How I Wrote 'Elastic Man'
?? September: Single - Totally Wired
24 September 1980 - 3rd John Peel Session - Container Drivers, Jawbone and the Air Rifle, New Puritan, New Face in Hell
17 November: Album - Grotesque

"My heart and I agree"

I knew I was taking on a difficult job when I started this and 1980 really brings it home. One track from a year which most bands would want as a career!

Three epic singles, a live album, a studio album and a Peel session where at least one of the tracks is more highly regarded than the studio version.

The year started with Fiery Jack, the last release for the Step Forward label. It's an excellent single that evokes the early spiky Fall while also introduces glimmerings of what would be the group's 'Country and Northern' sound.

The first release for Rough Trade was the (mostly) live album Totale's Turns. The live tracks come from late 1979 and early 1980 while there is also a studio outtake (That Man) and the stand-out track New Puritan which was a demo recorded at Smith's house.

After two more excellent singles in 'Elastic Man' and Totally Wired, the first studio album for Rough Trade was Grotesque. I heard a radio show where the presenter (sorry if you're reading when I've forgotten your name) described the album as "brimming with ideas" which really nails it.

Some of those don't work ('In the Park', 'WMC Blob 59') but the album contains Fall classics English Scheme, New Face in Hell, The Container Drivers, Impression of J.Temperance and The N.W.R.A. any one of which could have been my selection.

It's Totally Wired that's getting the nod for this year though. Sorry if that seems predictable. It's long been one of my favourite singles. It's a great example of how what might on the surface seem not a lot becomes a huge amount.

Different elements of the sound take centre stage at different times. Paul Hanley's drums, Steve Hanley's bass, the guitars of Riley and Scanlon all have their moment behind Smith's vocal and also layer the sound together when the time is absolutely right.

It's clearly a song that I've become associated with in my group of friends too. On the news of Smith's death a good friend of mine sent me a YouTube link to this with his condolences. Totally Wired it is then.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1983 - Smile

1982 - Just Step S'ways

1995 - Feeling Numb