1987 - There's a Ghost in My House

27 April: Single - There's a Ghost in My House
11 May: 11th John Peel Session - Australians in Europe, Twister, Guest Informant, Athlete Cured
19 October: Single - Hit The North

"I can't get over ye"

The first year without an album release since 1978. It's ok, there are two next year! You'd think not having many tracks to choose from would make my life easier but not so.

I can't imagine there was any pressure on the group to have a hit but there was another cover version chosen as the first single of the year. There's a Ghost in My House by R.Dean Taylor hadn't troubled the charts when released in 1967 but became a Northern soul favourite and reached number three in 1974.

The Fall's take on it (which doesn't mess around with it too much - Smith wanted "to retain the spirit of it") was their biggest hit, peaking at number 30. The group recorded another of Taylor's songs, Gotta See Jane, for 2001's Are you Are Missing Winner album.

A John Peel session followed a couple of weeks later and featured three future b-sides in Australians in Europe, Guest Informant and Twister plus a future track from next year's first long player in Athlete Cured.

There was one more single before the year was out. One single, umpteen versions! Hit the North was given a serious remix treatment on just about every format going at the time. (Part 2 is a bit of a favourite, Smith's voice is more to the forefront on this one.)

So what to choose this year? The extra tracks to There's a Ghost in My House don't really do it for me (although Sleep Debt Snatches has its merits), the Peel session songs are improved on in their official releases, and while Australians in Europe is good it seems like a rehearsal for the better Everything Hurtz which comes along five years later.

So I'm down to the two a-sides. I prefer my Fall when there's less reliance on 'machines' but I do enjoy Hit the North. The video puts a smile on my face too but like MES there's a part of me that would take Frank Sidebottom's version over it.

When I started this Fall in 40 business I wanted to do my best to avoid cover versions but if the song I'd enjoy most if it came on the radio in the next five minutes would be There's a Ghost in my House. So that's the pick.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1983 - Smile

1982 - Just Step S'ways

1995 - Feeling Numb