"I think it's really important that The Fall exist"

"And that's always been my viewpoint on it."

Not my words but Mark E Smith on this The Tube interview with Muriel Gray on 8 November 1985. 



It was a drive, a mantra, a manifesto that must have stayed through his life and defined his life. Whatever professional or personal problem dogged him, through band and relationship break-ups and various health issues, The Fall always existed. And despite Smith's death in 2018 they still do. 

The Fall still exist because of the people who continue to play The Fall, talk about The Fall, podcast about the Fall, write about The Fall, tweet about The Fall, try to decipher Fall lyrics, try to explain Fall lyrics, turn up old pictures of The Fall, discover Fall music lost in vaults etc.

It's time for me to bring the curtain down on my Fall in 40. Thank you to everyone who has read these, liked, commented, retweeted and engaged in any way. I did this for me, in part as a way to deal with the absence of someone who had been a part of my life (in musical terms) for nearly 40 years, but the fact that others have got something out of them now and again has always been, well, appreciated.

Now I'll just step sideways and leave it to so many others for their views, their recollections and their interpretations of The Fall. I look forward to reading/listening to them and I hope they continue for many years to come.

Because I think it's really important that The Fall exist.

Paul Garratt
@TheFallin40
January 2021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1983 - Smile

1982 - Just Step S'ways

1995 - Feeling Numb